Saturday, June 02, 2007

The Balance Theory

Taking public transport once a while lets me greatly appreciate having my own transport. No offense to those who have to take public transport everyday, but I really cannot tahan the great variety of smell when squeezing inside the MRT~! Sweaty bodies, plastic bags full of weird things with weird smell etc etc etc.... wah.... *faintz*

Jas's not allowed to ride on my bike anymore. I'm very upset but then again, its all in the interest of her safety. We'll just work things out as they come along... This suddenly reminds me of something I studied in my Elements of Social and Applied Psychology... Let me elaborate the Balance Theory, work of Heider (1946) and extended by Cartwright and Harary (1956). The general approach is that perceptions of people, objects and events make up a person's cognitive field - the content of a person's mind.

Balance Theory focuses on:
- P - the person
- O - another person
- X - an attitude
The set of 3 traids is said to be consistent if it is balanced. Balance is assessed by counting the number of types of relationships between the elements. P liking X is (+) relationship, O disliking X is (-), and P disliking O is (-). Altogether, there are 8 possible combinations of relationships between two people and the attitude object. 4 are balanced and 4 unbalanced.

In short, unbalanced triads makes people feel tense and motivates them to restore balance (Jordan,1953). Balance will be restored in whichever manner that requires least effort. When triads are unbalanced it also means that there are inconsistencies and human beings do not like inconsistencies. Therefore they will do something about it. People do not always resolve inconsistencies. They organize their attitudes and beliefs so that elements are isolated from each other and are quite resistant to change (Abelson, 1968).

For example, if P likes golf and O does not, and if P and O like each other, P may decide to isolate the golf element from the triad by playing golf when O is not present. Applying the Balance Theory to my case. Alvin likes bikes (+). Jas doesn't like bike(-). Alvin and Jas like each other (+). So, to restore the balance, Alvin will ride bike when Jas is not present.

Kaoz... if only I can write so much so fast during the exam, I'm sure I would score better...=P
Enough crap.... zzzZZzzz